Saturday, September 02, 2006

5 Years




So, David and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary yesterday. We had a fabulous evening. I had to rush because I was running late and couldn't do my hair, so pictured is what you can see I whipped up in about 5 minutes. It turned out kind of cool, so I guess that is one advantage to being a hairstylist.
We went out to a cute little place that we have been to before on our last anniversary, and for my Dad's and my birthday (the same day!).
We started out with artichoke fritters with bearnaise sauce, which is my favorite, and then moved on to our salads, David had a house with egg and sprouts (yuckka) and I had the goat cheese salad with French long beans and a garlic, seeded crostini. For dinner, David had lobster spaghetti with diver scallops and shrimp, and I had the warm seasonal vegetables atop wild rice with tofu. It was the most vegetable-y dish I ever ordered, with artichokes, green, red, and yellow peppers, asparagus, carrot, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and lot of other stuff I can't even remember. They surprised us with little glasses full of fresh strawberries, vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream with little candles on top. I ate that and was more than full, so I ordered a berry cobbler and David ordered a dark chocolate flourless cake, both of which were for him because he couldn't decide. He couldn't finish, but at least he has something to look forward to tonight.
I guess the reason I am talking about the food so much is because it was so good. When you are on a diet, and then you cheat for the first time in months, it's like a starving man being offered a fee dinner at the local Golden Corral, pure heaven. That is going really well for me, I have lost another pant size and I am actually wearing a pair of my old, pre-pregnancy jeans. Amazing, at least to me. It was a little frustrating last night because the outfit I had tried on earlier in the week had gotten too big and looked stupid, so I had to rush to find something, hence my lateness. A good problem, but a problem nonetheless. David asked me why I looked upset for my clothes not fitting. I don't think guys can understand when a planned outfit goes awry. I would liken it to a football game being cancelled or something. I know, complain, complain, but I really am so happy I am getting back down to my regular size. I feel my comfort returning. Something about being overweight, it's like you want to rip your skin off and go running down the street all skinless and scary. At least that's what it's like for me. I think, also, that I have lost weight in my head. Possibly via the disappearance of brain cells, but my glasses are loose! It could be the baby bent them, but I don't think so. I think I lost weight in my fat head, for real. Oooooo, I have such a skinny head. That will be the new trend now, to see how tiny celebs can get their heads. "Oooo, you bitch, your cranium is SO Nicole Ritchie!!! What's your secret?"
So, as you can see in the other picture there, I decided to wear my Chinese foot-binding shoes out on the town. Really, the shoes are super cute, but they are sheer torture. Imagine my horror when we had to park down the street and walk to the restaurant, downhill. I was scared. Then I had wine, it rained, it got dark, and I had leftovers to carry. So David went and got the car so I wouldn't break my face or other important parts of me.
We then decided to go do the weirdest thing, but we sort of had to. We went to Walmart. We were all dressed up, and we decided to go to Walmart, just because we knew that we would be the classiest people in the whole store at that moment in time. And that's classy with a capital "C" considering I was hunched over a cart limping along in my Chinese foot binding shoes like a fire-walking gimp with gangrenes toes. We bought toilet paper, diapers, diet Pepsi, some onesies, dishwasher detergent, and a tupperware organizer that spins for my Dad.
On the way home we decided to stop by the gas station, where the biggest and best surprise of the night came. David went in for a lotto ticket with our anniversary numbers on it and came out with my anniversary present, a beautiful, honey colored corncob pipe with a plastic tip for my comfort. He is so thoughtful, it was just what I had hoped for. It even smelled like Swisher sweets and gas station. I am a lucky, lucky lady to have a man that puts me and my habit first, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

No comments: